Tuesday, February 27, 2007

New SBGi BJJ Black Belt!


I just returned from a trip to Ireland today, and while I was there I awarded a black belt to SBGi Ireland's John Kavanagh.This is only the second BJJ black belt I have awarded to date, the first being to Luis Gutierrez.

Anyone that has rolled with John knows that his own personal BJJ game is phenomenal. He is a world class BJJ athlete, and his skill at the fundamentals of each position in BJJ are top notch. In the dozen Years or so I have had to Coach BJJ athletes I have yet to work with anyone that matched John's level of technical finesse.

However, in addition to his own ability, John also has a complete understanding of why BJJ works the way it does. What makes something a fundamental, why the positions, pressures, and moves of BJJ work the way they do, why things occur in the order that they do, in short the scientific understanding of how grappling works. And it's that understanding of BJJ that ensures John will be able to pass on his BJJ knowledge to the next generation of athletes. Ensuring that the future generation is able to take the game even farther then we have now.

Over the last several Years I have observed John Coaching BJJ. And I have witnessed the progress of the athletes at his own Gym. It is obvious that John has taken his teaching skills as seriously as he has his own game.

Given all the above, it was easy to acknowledge John as a black belt in BJJ. And I am very proud to have him represent the future of SBGi BJJ. It is in good hands.

-Matt Thornton

You can read a current interview with John here: